These cookies are nice and spicy for the cooler weather and perfect for the holiday season! They are a cross between a gingersnap and a spice cookie and have a delicious snap when you bite or break them.
2 cups Flour
1 tsp Baking soda
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 tsp Ground ginger
1 tsp Ground cloves
½ cup Vegetable shortening
½ cup Packed brown sugar
½ cup Molasses
White sugar and cinnamon for topping
– Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC and line 2 cookie sheets with baking parchment.
– In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
– In the bowl of a mixer, beat together shortening and brown sugar.
– Mix in egg and molasses until well combined.
– Stir in flour mixture.
– Scoop into round balls and place on cookie sheets.
– Dampen the bottom of a glass and dip into sugar cinnamon mixture. Use this to flatten cookies to desired thickness, dipping glass into mixture between each cookie.
– Bake for 12-15min or until a light golden color and firm to touch.
– Cool on wire rack.