This is a very lemony cake made with polenta, grounds almonds, and ricotta. A lemon syrup is then poured over the warm cake to give a sweet lemony tang and moistness. More lemon flavor is added with the buttercream and even more lemon sweetness is added with the sugared lemon zest on the top.
Cake and syrup recipe originally from http://www.wheat-free.org/wheat-gluten-free-lemon-ricotta-cake-recipe.html
2 sticks Butter
1 cup Sugar
3 Eggs, beaten
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
1½ cups Ground Almonds
½ cup Polenta
1 tsp Baking Powder
– Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 9″ springform pan.
– In a mixer, cream butter and sugar.
– Mix in eggs.
– Mix in ricotta, almonds, polenta, and baking powder until well combined.
– Scrape into lined pan and bake for 1-1½ hrs or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cake will be a golden brown on top.
– While cake is baking make Lemon Syrup and Sugared Lemon Zest.
– Once cake is cooked, remove from oven and leave in tin. Pour or brush cake with Lemon Syrup while cake is still warm. Leave to cool completely.
– Remove cake from tin and spread or pipe Lemon Buttercream over the top. Garnish with Sugared Lemon Zest.
½ cup + 1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Lemon, juice and zest
2 Lemons, juice
– Place sugar, lemon juice (3 lemons total), and water into a saucepan.
– Heat over medium-high heat until it begins to boil. Boil for about 5min. or until slightly syrupy.
– Remove from heat and add zest. Set aside until cake is ready.
– Brush over warm cake.
4 Tbsp Butter, softened
1 Lemon, juice
1½ cups Confectioner’s Sugar
– Beat butter and sugar, adding enough lemon juice to reach desired consistency.
– Spread or pipe onto cooled cake.
Sugared Lemon Zest:
2-3 Tbsp sugar
– Use a zester to remove zest from lemons.
– Toss in sugar to coat.
– Garnish finished cake.