These cookies are nice and spicy for the cooler weather and perfect for the holiday season! They are a cross between a gingersnap and a spice cookie and have a delicious snap when you bite or break them.
2 cups Flour
1 tsp Baking soda
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 tsp Ground ginger
1 tsp Ground cloves
½ cup Vegetable shortening
½ cup Packed brown sugar
½ cup Molasses
White sugar and cinnamon for topping
– Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC and line 2 cookie sheets with baking parchment.
– In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
– In the bowl of a mixer, beat together shortening and brown sugar.
– Mix in egg and molasses until well combined.
– Stir in flour mixture.
– Scoop into round balls and place on cookie sheets.
– Dampen the bottom of a glass and dip into sugar cinnamon mixture. Use this to flatten cookies to desired thickness, dipping glass into mixture between each cookie.
– Bake for 12-15min or until a light golden color and firm to touch.
– Cool on wire rack.
This is the recipe that comes with the Nordic Ware Heritage cake pan. It’s the right size for the pan and the recipe works great. The cake looks beautiful when you turn it out of the pan and will look stunning on any table!
2-3 tbsp Dry breadcrumbs
2 tbsp lemon zest (about 2 large lemons)
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1-2 tsp white pepper, ground
1 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
– Preheat oven to 325 F.
– Grease and breadcrumb pan.
– Mix together lemon zest, lemon juice, fresh ginger in a small bowl and set aside.
– Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, white pepper in a medium bowl and set aside.
– In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
– Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition.
– On low speed, mix in flour in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk. Start and end with the flour.
– Stir in lemon ginger mix.
– Spoon into prepared pan.
– Bake for about 75-80min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
– While cake is baking, make the glaze (see recipe below).
– When cake is finished, cool in pan on wire rack for 10min.
– Turn cake out onto wire rack over some baking parchment.
– Brush glaze over warm cake and then let cake cool completely.
Ingredients for glaze:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3-1/2 cup lemon juice
– mix sugar and lemon juice together until sugar has dissolved (stir every so often while your cake is baking).