This video shows you how to make a classic one-bowl vanilla cupcake with a buttercream icing using a Wilton 1M swirl. The icing contains vegetable shortening, so the icing will stay white and doesn’t need to be refrigerated. These easy vanilla cupcake and icing recipes can also be used to make cakes or as a base to add other flavours or food colourings to both the cake and icing.
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup milk
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 large eggs
– Preheat oven to 180 C (or 160 C for fan bake).
– Place cupcake cases in pan.
– Measure all ingredients into the mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment.
– Mix at low speed until ingredients are combined.
– Scrape down bowl once.
– Mix on high speed until smooth and fluffy (about 2 min).
– Scoop batter into prepared cupcake pans.
– Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
– Let cool for 10 minutes in pan before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.
White Vanilla Buttercream Icing:
1 cup vegetable shortening
4 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon clear vanilla flavouring
7-8 teaspoons water
– Place vegetable shortening, icing sugar, vanilla and 7 teaspoons of water into the food processor. Mix until icing is spreading consistency and add more water if needed.
You can also follow me on Twitter @goosesgoodies