This is a great pumpkin spice cake recipe. I’m making mini cupcakes, but you can also make a cake, loaf, standard size cupcakes – just remember to adjust the cooking time.
Buy your mini cupcake pan here – http://amzn.to/1B7Fq4Q
Buy your mini cupcake liners here – http://amzn.to/1wgm7EG
For the pumpkin spice mini cupcakes:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 can (15oz) pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp salt
– Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Line mini muffin tins with paper cases.
– In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves. Set aside.
– In bowl of mixer, stir sugars together. Add shortening and mix until combined.
– Add eggs and mix.
– Add pumpkin and mix well.
– Mix in vanilla extract.
– Stir in flour mixture.
– Spoon mixture into muffin tins and bake for 10-15min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
– Cool in tins for about 10min and then cool completely on wire rack.
For the caramelized pecan topping:
1 cup pecans
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
– Cook pecans in a saucepan until lightly toasted and fragrant.
– Add sugar and syrup and stir constantly until caramelized.
– Pour onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and cool completely.
– Pulse in mini chopper/food processor until desired coarseness. You can also chop nuts by hand with a knife.
For the buttermilk buttercream icing:
2 sticks butter
1 lb confectioner’s sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk
– Mix together until light and fluffy.
– Pipe onto cupcakes and sprinkle with pecan topping.