This is a wedding cake I made. It has 2-tiers and each tier has 4 layers. It’s my gluten-free carrot cake https://mrsgooses.com/2014/06/18/gluten-free-carrot-cake-with-cream-cheese-rose-swirls/ covered in white fondant. The cake toppers were supplied by the bride and groom and were made of clay.
You can use the butterfly Cake Lace mat to make 3D butterflies too.
Buy equipment you need here:
Cake Lace Silicone Mat Butterfly – http://amzn.to/1HSpRjc
Cake Lace White Mix – 200g – http://amzn.to/1B6m93H
Cake Lace Spreader – http://amzn.to/1vcsXcU
Cake Lace Premixed Pearlised White – http://amzn.to/1y5l6ee
1. Preheat oven to 170ºF.
2. Mix 1 tsp original white mix and 2 tsp pearlized white premix.
3. Spread over butterfly mat and bake 10 min, then cool.
4. Spread pearlized white premix over cooled butterflies and bake 10 min, then cool.
5. Fold aluminum foil sheet several times to create peaks.
6. Gently peel butterflies from mat and hang over foil peaks. Bake again for 20 min.
7. Store cooled butterflies in box until ready to use.
I made my regular carrot cake recipe – https://mrsgooses.com/2014/04/05/how-to-make-carrot-cake-and-decorate-with-cream-cheese-icing/, but substituted rice flour for the regular flour. It worked great and was super moist!
This is a lovely recipe by Allyson Gofton that can be found on her website: http://www.allysongofton.co.nz/recipe/Orange-almond-cake/?r=2775&fs=1
I don’t have a large food processor, so I pureed my oranges in a mini chopper and then continued to mix everything in my mixer.
Using the whole orange gives the cake heaps of moisture and a not-too-sweet taste.
Buy equipment you might need from here:
Cuisinart Food Processor – http://amzn.to/1vhUMk2
KitchenAid Mini Chopper – http://amzn.to/1zpwBiO
Aluminium Cake Pan – http://amzn.to/1I4UBxM
Sifter – http://amzn.to/15QWAqG
2 large oranges, unpeeled (navel oranges work well)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups ground almonds
¼ cup confectioner’s sugar to dust
1. Place the unpeeled oranges into a saucepan. Cover with water and simmer for 1 hour. Drain and leave until thoroughly cold.
2. Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Grease and line a 9″/23cm cake tin with baking paper.
3. Cut the cooked oranges into quarters, remove the seeds and place in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until finely chopped. Add the eggs, sugar and lemon juice and process for 1 minute.
4. Add the baking powder and ground almonds and pulse only to mix. Do not over-process.
5. Pour into the prepared cake tin.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until golden in colour and a cake skewer (or toothpick) inserted comes out clean.
7. Stand in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack to cool.
8. Sift over a thick layer of confectioner’s sugar.
This is the recipe that comes with the Nordic Ware Heritage cake pan. It’s the right size for the pan and the recipe works great. The cake looks beautiful when you turn it out of the pan and will look stunning on any table!
Ingredients for cake:
2-3 tbsp Dry breadcrumbs
2 tbsp lemon zest (about 2 large lemons)
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1-2 tsp white pepper, ground
1 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
– Preheat oven to 325 F.
– Grease and breadcrumb pan.
– Mix together lemon zest, lemon juice, fresh ginger in a small bowl and set aside.
– Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, white pepper in a medium bowl and set aside.
– In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
– Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition.
– On low speed, mix in flour in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk. Start and end with the flour.
– Stir in lemon ginger mix.
– Spoon into prepared pan.
– Bake for about 75-80min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
– While cake is baking, make the glaze (see recipe below).
– When cake is finished, cool in pan on wire rack for 10min.
– Turn cake out onto wire rack over some baking parchment.
– Brush glaze over warm cake and then let cake cool completely.
Ingredients for glaze:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3-1/2 cup lemon juice
– mix sugar and lemon juice together until sugar has dissolved (stir every so often while your cake is baking).
Beautiful edible butterflies to top your cakes and cupcakes.