These are great savory cookies! If you’re not a fan of sweet things, then these are the cookies for you. They’re also great as snacks for guests or with soups.
4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped finely
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or adjust to taste
1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 stick softened butter, cut into cubes
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons heavy cream
– In a large skillet over medium high heat cook the chopped bacon until very crisp. Drain on paper towel.
– In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the flour, cayenne pepper, butter, egg, egg yolk, and cream. Mix until well combined.
– Add the shredded cheese and crisp bacon to the work bowl and mix on low speed until combined.
– Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured board and roll into a log about 1 1/2″ around.
– Wrap the log in plastic wrap and chill for at least two hours (or 1 hour in the freezer).
– Once chilled slice into 1/4″ thick disks and place about 1/2″ to 1″ apart on an un-greased cookie sheet or cookie sheet lined with baking paper.
– Bake for 18 to 25 minutes, or until the cookies are just turning golden abound the edges and the cookies are firm to the touch.
– Cool on a rack until they are slightly warm or to room temperature.