This is a great recipe because it uses cocoa, which I always have on hand. It works great as a cake as well and will make a 2-layer 8 or 9 inch round cake.
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350F or 180 C.
2. Line 2 standard cupcake trays with cases and set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. In another bowl or 4-cup measuring cup, whisk together 1 cup of sugar, buttermilk, cocoa and vanilla. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, cream together butter and remaining 1 cup of sugar. Mix in eggs, on at a time.
6. Completely stir in 1/3 of the flour mixture and then mix in 1/2 of the cocoa mixture. Next, stir in 1/2 of the remaining flour mixture and then mix in the remaining cocoa mixture. Finally, stir in the remaining flour mixture.
7. Divide evenly into cupcake cases.
8. Bake for about 20min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Cool in pan for about 10min and then remove cupcakes to wire rack to finish cooling.