This is an easy cake baked in a loaf pan with a lemon syrup. The lemon syrup is added while the cake is still warm so it absorbs into the cake – yum. A simple dust of icing sugar is all it needs to finish. This recipe calls for self-rising flour. If you don’t have self-rising flour, please see the note at the bottom for how to make it yourself.
Buy equipment you need here:
Loaf pan – http://amzn.to/1yjZ4oh
Baking Parchment Roll – http://amzn.to/1vDu70Y
Microplane fine grater/zester – http://amzn.to/121etAS
Wire Rack – http://amzn.to/1tIsHwU
Ingredients for the Cake/Loaf:
1 stick butter
1 2/3 cups self-rising flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
rind/zest of 1 lemon
Directions for Cake/Loaf:
1. Preheat oven to 180 C or 350 F.
2. Grease, line and flour loaf pan. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix in completely.
5. Stir in half of the flour.
6. Mix in the milk.
7. Stir in the rest of the flour.
8. Stir in the lemon zest.
9. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for about 45 min or until cake tester (toothpick) comes out clean.
10. Remove loaf from oven and place on wire rack. While still warm, poke holes in the loaf with a skewer and pour lemon syrup over the top.
11. Leave loaf in pan to cool completely.
12. Once cooled, remove from pan and dust icing sugar over the top.
Ingredients for Lemon Syrup:
3 heaped tablespoons icing/confectioner’s sugar, plus more for dusting
Juice from 1 lemon
Directions for Lemon Syrup:
1. Place sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan over low heat.
2. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
3. Set aside until ready to pour over Lemon Cake.
Note: You can make your own self-rising flour using all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. For every 1 cup of flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk or sift together.